HAPPY BIRTHDAY, AMERICA!!!
Things to be thankful for:
– I am thankful for the teenager who is not doing dishes but is watching TV because that means he is at home and not on the streets.
– For the taxes that I pay, because it means that I am employed.
– For the mess to clean after a party because it means that friends have surrounded me.
– For the clothing that fits too snug, because it means I have enough to eat.
– For a lawn that needs mowing, windows that need cleaning, and gutters that need fixing, because it means I have a home.
– For all the complaining I hear about the government, because it means that we have freedom of speech.
– For the parking spot I find at the far end of the lot, because it means I am capable of walking and been blessed with transportation.
– For the huge heating and air conditioning bills because it means I am comfortable.
– For the person behind me in church who sings off key, because it means I can hear.
– For the alarm that goes off in the early morning hours, because it means that I am alive.
– I am thankful for crying babies because they remind me that young people believe in the future of this country and that tomorrow has promise.
These thoughts might seem frivolous and too light hearted, but hidden in their humorous expression, is some serious thought—we are a nation mightily blessed.
Perhaps another way of looking at it is to capture the thoughts of our founders—
We the People of The United States
in order to form a more perfect union,
insure domestic tranquility,
provide for the common defense,
promote the general welfare,
and secure the blessings of liberty
to ourselves and our posterity,
do ordain and establish this
Constitution of the United States of America.
Two messages: one light, one serious, both worthy of thought. Come to church on July Fourth or Sunday, the Fifth, and thank God for the blessings we enjoy as a nation and individually.
Yes indeed, Happy 239th Birthday America!
Father Michael Doyle, O.S.M.